Medu Vada Recipe – How to make Sambar Vada
|Medu Vada – fried gram dough nuts, one of the most popular South Indian breakfast dishes.|
Vada made with gram flour batter makes very nice and tasty breakfast dish. I used medu vada maker to make vada as after a few trials of preparing vada with hands, I was forced to buy it. Now I can make perfect vada easily.
The recipe which I shared is very easy to made with just four ingredients. As per your taste, you can add little ginger, crushed curry leaves to batter.
The same vadas can also be made into dahi vada. Dahi vada is somewhat like dahi bhalla in presentation. Dahi vada is nothing but vada topped with whipped curd, saunth chutney, coriander chutney and spices.
Vada tastes best when served with hot samber and nariyal ki chutney.
So here is your recipe, try and do share your experience. 🙂
- Skinned split black gram / Urad Dal - 1 Cup
- Yellow skinned gram / Moong dal - 2 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying medu vada
- Soak urad dal and moong dal in water for 4 to 5 hours or you can soak it overnight.
- Drain the lentils and transfer drained lentils to a grinder.
- Make a smooth paste of dal. Whip batter for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour the batter into medu vada maker.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom pan to fry vada. Heat oil and then lower the flame to medium.
- One by one add vada into the hot oil and fry on medium flame.
- Serve fried medu vada with samber and nariyal ki chutney.
2. Do not fry on high flame as it will brown the vada from outside and the vada will remain raw from inside. Heat the oil , then lower the flame to medium then add vada for frying.
3. The temperature of oil should neither be too high nor too low. As high temperature will burn the vada from outer surface and will be uncooked from side. On the other hand, if the temperature of oil is low, then vada will soak oil and become soggy.
Medu Vada Recipe – How to make medu vada at home:
Step by step recipe with photos:
1. Soak urad dal and moong dal in water for 4 to 5 hours or you can soak it overnight. Drain the lentils.
2. Transfer drained lentils to a grinder.
4. Transfer the batter into medu vada maker.
5. Heat oil in a thick bottom pan to fry vada. Heat oil and then lower the flame to medium.
6. One by one add vada into the hot oil and fry on medium flame.
7. Serve fried medu vada with samber and nariyal ki chutney.