Dal Pakwan Recipe – How to Make Dal Pakwan
|Dal Pakwan Recipe – One of the most popular Sindhi breakfast dishes, dal pakwan is very tasty and delightful. Chana daal is served with crispy fried pakwan.|
Dal pakwan is a much loved Sindhi breakfast dish. It is basically cooked chana dal served with pakwan i.e fried crispy Indian bread. Pakwan is a very thin crispy bread made from maida (all purpose flour).
This yummy appetizing recipe of dal pakwan comes from my mother in law’s kitty. Have heard a lot about this Sindhi breakfast dish before, but tried only after my marriage when she made dal pakwaan and the dish came out to be wonderful.
Dal is pressure cooked here, but you can also cook it in a pan. Make sure dal is cooked well, but it should not be mushy.
Chana dal for Dal Pakwan can be make in two ways – one is with gravy and another way is dry. Me and my family like dry version of dal pakwan. In case you wish to make dal with gravy then add 1 more cup of water while cooking daal.
- Chane ki dal / chana dal / Bengal gram - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato - 2, finely chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Red chili powder - ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds / Sarson ke beej - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves / kadi patta - 15 to 20
- Water - 2.5 to 3 cups
- Salt - ½ tsp + to taste
- Cooking oil or ghee - 1 tbsp
- Sweet tamarind chutney
- Coriander mint chutney
- Soak chane ki dal in water for 2 to 3 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add mustard seeds to crackle.
- Add curry leaves. Stir and fry.
- Drain dal and add daal to the pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water and ½ tsp salt. Mix well. Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. Turn off the gas.
- Let the pressure settle, Open the cooker and add finely chopped onion, tomato and coriander leaves, red chili powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Serve Sindhi dal with pakwan along with sweet tamerind chutney and fresh green coriander mint chutney.
For step by step recipe of pakwan for Dal Pakwan, click here
Sindhi Dal Pakwan Recipe – How to make chana daal to be served with pakwan:
Step by step Recipe of Dry Chana Dal for Dal Pakwan:
1. Soak chane ki dal in water for 2 to 3 hours.
3. Add curry leaves. Stir and fry.
7. Serve Sindhi dal with pakwan along with sweet tamarind chutney and fresh green coriander mint chutney.