Aam Papad Recipe – How to make Mango Papad
|Aam Papad – sweet and sour mango dessert made by and mango dessert made with drying mango pulp cooked with sugar.|
Aam papad reminds me of my childhood days when I used to enjoy this sun dried dessert. Never thought that making it at home would be so easy.
Came across this recipe in some cookbook and after that I have tried this so many times and my family loved the prepared mango papad.
Mango papad is also known as Aamta in Assamese, amawat in Hindi, mamidi tandra in Telugu, aamsotto in Bengali and amba vadi in Marathi.
This mango dessert is usually sweet but can be transformed into different varieties. The same aam papad came be made into spicy aam papad just by adding rock salt and Black pepper.
Once prepared, it can be preserved for months and can be enjoyed later in off season of mangoes.
- Ripe Mangoes - 2, large
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Rinse, peel and grind mango pulp to a smooth paste.
- In a pan, transfer the pureed mango pulp.
- Add sugar and a pinch of salt to the pan and stir.
- Keep stirring at medium flame for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Once the color of mango pulp starts changing to slight orange, turn off the gas.
- Grease barfi tray or any other tray with a flat bottom with ghee or cooking oil and pour the mango pulp onto the tray.
- With a flat spatula, make a fine and uniform layer of pulp.
- Keep the tray in bright sunshine for 1 or 2 days.
- Once the papad is completely dry and non sticky, using a sharp cutter cut the aam papad into parts.
- Gently peel papad off the tray.
- Give it a desired shape. You can make papad rolls out of it or just stack one layer over the other to form a block.
- Enjoy delicious homemade mango papad.
2. I prefer safeda aam because of its sweet and sour taste.
3. The same papad can be transformed to spicy Mango papad just by adding little black salt (rock Salt) and black pepper over sun-dried papad.
4. In case there is no sunlight, you can also dry it in fan.
Aam Papad Recipe – How to make homemade Mango Papad:
Step by step recipe of aam papad with images:
2. Add 2 tbsp sugar or as per taste and a pinch of salt and stir.
6. Keep the tray in bright sunshine for 1 or 2 days.
8. Gently peel papad off the tray.